[blindkid] I need help (Sonya)

JoyO ortonsmom at gmail.com
Wed Dec 26 13:13:02 UTC 2012

Dear Sonya,

You have come to the right place for help. Please be assured that we want to encourage you in your efforts to get a cane and Braille for your son.

If he can walk already, he definitely can learn to use a cane. You can get a cane from the NFB, and I think a free one about once a year. Go ahead and get him a cane and let him use it when he is with you, even if the school is not providing training. For us we made it a normal part of getting ready to go. Put on your shoes, put on your coat, get your cane.

Does he live at the school for the blind?

The teachers are wrong about not learning both print and braille. Unfortunately you need to be ready to fight on this one. Fortunately the parents in this group will do all we can to help you. Have you connected with the Indiana Parents of Blind Children yet? They can provide local help for you.

I hope you have success with your effort to get braille and cane training for your son. Keep going!

Sincerely,
Joy Orton