[blindkid] Math for kindergarten

L lburns24 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 3 01:15:34 UTC 2012

 My daughter is five years old in a regluar ed kindergarten class.  Her TVI comes into the classroom for math as well as adapts materials for the teacher/aid to use during a second part of math later.  The TVI just said to me that the class is starting to learn addition and that the braille math code is Nemeth. She said my daughter does not yet have a solid understanding of her literary numbers, so she doesn't feel comfortable moving ahead and teaching her the Nemeth numbers necessary to write out addition problems. They said she will be will be learning the concept of addition, and she will be
learning this with manipulatives. She will not, however, be writing math problems right now. They will of course still use the appropriate math language (ie: ___ plus ___ equals ___) they just won't be asking her to write it out right now. She will be completing her work verbally, for now.  They are working on identifying and writing literary numbers.

I just want to make sure...Is this what others did?  Do you wait to do Nemeth until there is a solid understanding of numbers first?  Thank you!
Laurie Wages - mother of Hannah, Fredericksburg, VA