[blindkid] Math for kindergarten

Carol Castellano carol_castellano at verizon.net
Tue Jan 3 03:58:29 UTC 2012

Hi Laurie,

I have a lot of reactions to this.  First, where is your daughter in
general in her braille learning?  Can she recognize all her
letters?  Can she write them all?  Has she started learning contractions?

Since literary numbers are simply the first ten letters of the
alphabet with the number sign in front of them, I am wondering where
your daughter's unsureness is.  Is the problem that she does not
recognize the number sign?  Or does she have trouble remembering that
when she sees the number sign, the character that follows it should
be read as a number?

Is the problem in writing the numbers?  It seems to me that if a
child can read an "a" in literary, she won't have much trouble
reading a "1" in Nemeth, as they will look the same.  So maybe the
problem is in writing them?

One thing to think about--are her classmates being asked to write out
additions problems or only to write the answer on their
worksheets?  If it's only the answer, then your child can do that,
too, for the time being while she works on learning the rest of the
code.  She can still look at/read the equations in her math book or
worksheets.  If the teacher is writing equations on the board for the
children to copy, your daughter should have a desk copy to look at so
that she has the same opportunities to learn as her classmates.  Take
a look at the Writing Math in Braille section of The Bridge to
Braille for ideas on teaching all this.

I would try hard to pinpoint the issue (if there is one) and give
your daughter some extra practice so that she can be learning the
same things as her classmates.  I've seen too many times blind kids
falling behind in math  (this was in fact the issue that sparked the
writing of my last book.)

Hope these thoughts help.

Carol

Carol Castellano