[blindkid] Playground Equipment

Deborah Kent Stein dkent5817 at att.net
Mon Jan 30 16:11:44 UTC 2012

I recently received an inquiry from a TVI in Chicago.  Please let me know your thoughts and I'll pass them along to her.  Off the top of my head, I don't know why a blind/VI child would need any adaptations in order to use playground equipment, but it's been a LONG time since I played on a playground!  Is there new stuff out there that would be hard for a blind child to play with?

I am on the leadership committee at Neil School and would like some of your valuable input concerning our VI students.  Neil  School is in the process of designing and purchasing equipment for a playground to meet the needs of the children during recess for next year. I have been asked what type of equipment etc. would benefit students with visual impairments. I know I can look in the instructional materials center catalog for material but I wanted to know is there anyone who would have more in depth knowledge. We are writing a proposal and I want to make sure our VI students are represented when we submit the grant.