[blindkid] Playground Equipment

Rene Harrell rjharrell at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 18:35:45 UTC 2012

One of the biggest "adaptations" that is most helpful is simply
constructing intersecting pieces of playground equipment high enough that a
child running towards it without vision isn't going to whack their head on
the monkey bars, or a bridge connecting one piece of equipment to another.
Even when using a cane, things that are head level only aren't easy to find
tactually until you either find it with your head, or you have your hands
in front of you. This has only been a problem in a few playgrounds we've
visited, and it's one that easily corrected in the design phase, without
having to really do anything special to the equipment itself.

--
" I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up
where I needed to be."