[blindkid] Playground Equipment

Phouka Phouka at kc.rr.com
Tue Jan 31 00:22:28 UTC 2012

I think the suggestions so far are great.  I would add that keeping an eye
on safety features they wouldn't usually look at would be great:  I'm
thinking things like ladders and other "drop offs" that someone with low
vision or depth perception might miss.  There's a playground near us where
you can climb through tunnels to get to the top level where the slides are.
Peanut usually uses the tunnels to get up there-which means that he doesn't
realize there are straight drop offs where the ladders are.  He does better
when there are wide stairs with railings to climb to access the
equipment-they're easier for him to see.  I agree that the auditory elements
are awesome-bells, chimes and shouting tubes are some of the things I've
seen.  Science City here in KC has a playground with scent tubes, too-I'm
not sure how you'd incorporate that at a regular school, but it might be
neat to try out.

Follow our adventures at http://peanutandphouka.wordpress.com

Join Eddie's Entourage for the 2012 Trolley Run!  Learn more at
http://trolleyrun.kintera.org/eddiesentourage

Need magazines?  Jewelry?  Outrageously expensive cookie dough?  Check out
http://www.efundraisingonline.com/eddiesentourage