[blindkid] learning braille and print

Brandy W ballstobooks at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 00:54:24 UTC 2012

As a child I had 2400 in one eye and 2600 in the other, and now 2600 and
2800, and there is no way at all that I could read print as a full time
reading medium! I had a few people who tried, but only to return to Braille.
It made my Braille reading suffer extremely. It wasn't till I was an adult
that I got my reading speed up to something that is acceptable. Your child
may be able to read that work in Kindergarten and first grade, I could with
some perfect lighting, and great strain, but he absolutely won't be able to
read it when it is 12 pt ft in a paperback book in third grade. Because of
this I hated to read as a child, but would listen to a million books in
audio format. Even today I tend not to read much Braille for pleasure, but I
use it for so many things. I don't think I read enough for pleasure because
it brings back a great of feelings of struggling from the lack of proper
instruction. I do read for pleasure a little every day. I also read for
devotion, hymns at church, recipes, medication, spices, toys and books I use
in my child care and tutoring business. Things that if I had been forced to
be a print reader would be pretty hard to enlarge enough to read. Fight for
that Braille!

Bran

"To learn to read is to light a fire; every syllable that is spelled out is
a spark."
- Victor Hugo

Brandy Wojcik  Discovery Toys Educational Consultant and Team leader
(512) 689-5045
www.playtoachieve.com
Follow me on Face Book at
http://www.facebook.com/PlayToAchieve.DiscoveryToys

Read my new blog at www.playtoachieveballstobooks.wordpress.com

Looking forward to helping you with your educational toy needs!