[blindkid] Board Games for Kids

Bernadette Jacobs bernienfb75 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 11:36:07 UTC 2012

On 7/19/12, Sariah Mattinson <sariahmattinson at gmail.com> wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone has had experience adapting a board game for
> their blind kid. I have a three-year-old who will be four soon and wanted
> to get some board games that she might like but figure I will have to adapt
> them somehow to make them more meaningful and fun for her. Has anyone done
> this and if so what board games did you adapt and how did you go about
> doing so? My daughter has no vision or light perception, so anything that
> would rely on any type of vision would probably be out of the question.
>
> Sariah
> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/blindkid_nfbnet.org/bernienfb75%40gmail.com

Good Moerninfg:

Many of the cards that go along with many of the games can be brailled
using the perkins.  You can also use dymotape to mark what's on the
board.  One can also use the dots, (some call them bumps) from the NFB
Headquarters Office Independence Market to mark things which have too
little space for actual Braille wording or abreviations.  I've seen
"Candyland" done that way.  I've done Trivial persuit that way.  You
can mark the squares on the board with those little bumps to identify
them so that the blind players know how and where to move their little
character things.  My husband and I have a Bible trivia game we bought
when we were first married we've done that way.  for the cards that
have trivia questions, one can use five-by-eight cardstock to write
out the question so the blind player can participate that way as well.

I've brailled thousands of decks of cards in my day.  Used to do a lot
of that in high school and college.  I don't know where or where you
live.  But, if you wish, I can also answer questions VIA phone for you
in more detail: 410-215-8587.

Take care gang!!

Bernie