[blindkid] Board Games for Kids

Carly B barnesraiser at gmail.com
Fri Jul 20 14:19:31 UTC 2012

Hi Sariah,

Our son is low vision and so we haven't had to adapt very many board games,
but I've seen the game of "Memory" adapted where the picture side has a
Braille character on it. (I make sticky Braille by putting a sheet of clear
contact paper into a Perkins Brailler and then cutting it out and sticking
it onto a surface. Do you have a Perkins or a Braille labeler? We got our
Perkins thru the school. Had to fight for it but got it.) We also once had
a tic-tac-toe game that was sent to us by some service that provides them
free to blind kids... it had 9 pegs and cut out x's and o's.

I'm trying to think what games a 3-4 year old would play... card games? I
made alphabet flashcards for my son when he was 5 by rolling them into the
brailler and brailling the letter on each one. I wonder if you could do
that with "fish" or other card games.

Sorry I don't have a ton of ideas but maybe something will be helpful.

God bless!

:) Carolynn Barnes a.k.a. Brian's mom