[blindkid] blindkid messages are open to public on Google

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Sun Jul 22 03:18:57 UTC 2012

Even if someone deletes the postings, once posts are out in cyberspace, so to speak, they are there. Deleting the post makes it somewhat harder to track down the original info., but I would keep any sensitive discussions "off list", as it is usually described. (Emailing directly with others outside the list completely.)

I know for example with web sites, there are automatic services like waybackmachine.org which is said to have backed up 150 Billion web pages and can be accessed at will (for free as I recall). Old pages once posted and now deleted or revised pages' earlier versions can be located going back as far as 1995.

Posting anything in any public forum on-line really is in many ways like publishing an article or a book. You can never fully remove things posted. Even if you get it off the server and could remove ALL web based copies somehow, a well meaning list member might reply to an old post where your words end up quoted, and a search engine will locate that as well.

I have no objection to some private forum being available as well, but I know when I post here, I intend for others to be able to find what I say in hopes that it may be useful for situations similar to my own. I know I have surely found much useful information by searching for information in forums like ours for other problems I needed to resolve myself.

Richard

Sent from my iPad