[blindkid] walking home from school.

Barbara Hammel poetlori8 at msn.com
Tue May 15 11:54:07 UTC 2012

If Abby's cane skills are good, practice street crossings over the summer,
even if it's just the streets on the school route.  If, when school starts,
you feel comfortable that she could do it alone if need be, then let them
walk.  If you had this plan when she could see, there is no reason why you
can't do it even though she is now blind.
The one thing in considering, here, is that you don't want her to depend
upon older sibling in case she has to go alone some time.
The time will be right when she can do it safely.  I have confidence that
you'll know when that is.
Barbara

Poetry is an echo, asking a shadow to dance. -- Carl Sandburg