[blindkid] netbook computer

Sally Thomas seacknit at gmail.com
Sun May 20 21:35:20 UTC 2012

Whatever Windows style computer you decide to use, you will need a screen
reader.  Check to see the running requirements of the screen reader and
then add more RAM.  How much total RAM you need will depend on the programs
your son will use.  From watching my son use various computers, I'd say
that a minimum of 4 GB of RAM is necessary.  When we buy equipment, we take
the notetaker to the computer store and connect the devices together to be
sure they work.  Best Buy was the easiest to work with.

My son's school gives every kid a MacBook Air.  He has really liked that
device. It connects to his notetaker (he uses a BrailleNote Apex), has a
built in screen reader and is light weight.  Apple also has a list of
compatible braille devices on it's website and they are going above and
beyond to make their products accessible out of the box.

Sally Thomas