[blindkid] apple netbooks

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Wed May 23 02:16:43 UTC 2012

Hi all,
As a graduate student I have used a netbook with JAWS (an Acer Aspire
One) for the past 2.5 years and I have never had any problems with
speed or processing power. The netbook did not come with Office but
you can purchase a license (my university gave me one) and I regularly
use Word, Excel, and PowerPoint on it along with e-mail and Internet.
I would highly recommend the netbook option to all blind high school
and college students and I honestly don't understand why so many VR
agencies spend so much money on laptops when a netbook can be just as
good for the basic word-processing, calculating and Web browsing
functions. Plus it's super-lightweight, so adding a small Braille
display won't break the student's back.
I was a devoted notetaker user (Braille Lite and then Braille Note)
until December 2010, when my Braille Note permanently crashed and I
was charged $1500 for repairs. I decided that notetakers weren't worth
it anymore. The notetaker technology is simply overpriced and
out-of-date, in my opinion, and all the essential functions of a
notetaker can also be accomplished on a netbook, with none of the
hassle of translating documents from Braille to print. The only real
advantage of a notetaker, in my opinion, is the Braille display. So if
you can get a portable Braille display for less than the price of a
notetaker, definitely go for it. Honestly, unless notetakers have
gotten a ton better since 2010, I'd think a student with a notetaker
would also need a computer anyway in order to browse the Internet
efficiently. So if you're going to buy a computer either way, skip the
notetaker and go for the netbook/display combo.
Arielle