[blindkid] Reading with Expression.

Penny Duffy pennyduffy at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 07:19:10 UTC 2013

Thank you everyone.

You have all helped wonderfully.  My daughter Abby is in 3rd grade and
became blind before first grade sometimes (she didnt' share she coudn;t see
things). She has been behind with reading but has been making very quick
progress.  I know and expect she will catch up and go beyond to where she
would have been if she hadn't have lost her vision.  She just got a new
classroom teacher because her previous teacher had a baby.   She really
wants to impress her teacher and show her what she can do and she was
really frustrated when her teacher told he she wasn't reading with
expression. She takes everything to heart.  She is a very bright child who
is making quick progress with reading and has never fallen behind in math.
-Penny

On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 1:29 AM, DrV <icdx at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Hi Penny,
> I'll echo what others have shared: that it takes time & lots of practice
> to learn to read with more expression.
> But it is important to recognize that beyond speed, you pick up a lot of
> the feeling based on context before actually seeing the punctuation (with
> your fingers or with your eyes).
> Our 2 boys are very different in many ways.
> My older son is somewhat of a natural reader.
> We worked & modeled a lot with our younger one, & it has paid off, for
> over time he has made great progress. In part to address this & also to
> create an environment that makes reading normal & fun, we started family
> reading nights a few years back - most of it is silent, but we sometimes
> share & take turns reading a story or passage out loud. This modeling has
> been very fruitful.
> In addition, we practiced oral presentations over & over for years. Now in
> 5th grade he, with minimal practice, can pull off a presentation with
> flying colors; he speaks the loudest, enunciates, adds dramatic
> inflection, & even knows to turn & face a different part of the audience
> every sentence or 2.
> Learning to read with expression is important, but it is a process that
> will take time & effort.
> Best wishes,
> Eric
>
> On 1/22/13 2:26 PM, "Penny Duffy" <pennyduffy at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >My daughter Abby is making a lot of progress with reading . She was
> >telling
> >me her teacher told her she needs to read with more expression.  Abby has
> >been taught that you use the punctuation to know the expression.  She
> >doesn't read the punctuation till the end of the sentence.  She can't look
> >ahead.  She would to know if there was any tips.  She is really concerned
> >about this because her teacher is saying its important.
> >--
> >--
> >--Penny
> >blindkid: