[blindkid] Focus 40 Blue

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Sat Jul 13 22:21:43 UTC 2013

My daughter is trying to use a new generation Focus 40 Blue braille display with an iPod. The Bluetooth connection seems to pair just fine. She can type and read braille in non-contracted or contracted mode, BUT neither backspace / delete (dot 7) or enter / line feed (dot 8) seem to work.

We looked at the 8 dot braille mode setting on the iPod (in case it was ignoring dots 7 and 8 because that mode was off). Didn't seem likely, but I wanted to check all I could before I asked for help. That seems to be un-contacted computer braille, so apparently that has nothing to do with it. Surely there is a simple way to have dots 7 and 8 work for those functions with an iDevice just like one would with JAWS on a PC.

This is a brand new display fresh out of the box, so if there are any settings to be made in the unit, they should all still be in factory default positions. I saw something about some options which I think are configured through JAWS when connected to a PC, but it would seem unlikely that needs to be done for such a basic thing as using backspace and enter.

I suspect we are overlooking some very basic settings issue.  Any clues?

Are there any good lists or resources for getting up to speed with Bluetooth and iDevices?

Thanks!