[blindkid] Tactile Graphics

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 17 18:43:19 UTC 2013

Hi all,

Just to be clear, I'm definitely not in support of omitting any
content just because it is supposedly too "visual" for a blind student
to handle. I also fully understand the significance of tactile
graphics for standardized test performance, and suspect my own math
SAT and GRE scores were suppressed to an extent by my own difficulties
interpreting tactile diagrams on the tests.
What I am advocating is that we re-examine how content can be
presented in the most accessible way possible. What is most accessible
as a tactile diagram, and what is most accessible as a verbal
description? We need to figure this out with rigorous research and
feedback from blind learners, and ideally, this investigation would be
used to develop standardized test items too. I hate to see "visual"
problems simply dropped from tests, but I also think that sometimes a
tactile rendering of the print graphic isn't the most accessible
representation either, at least not for all blind learners.

Arielle