[blindkid] Older iPod Touch Question

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Tue Mar 5 16:53:37 UTC 2013

Richard,

Even if you were able to get the old iPod to work and it is accessible, you will probably run into apps she feels she has to have that may not work correctly.  If the money is not too big an issue, I think getting a
new one makes some sense.  There are also cases for iPods that protect the glass, and one can also get an adhesive protection film that one could put over the touch screen that can help.  I think some sort
of case is almost a necessity given the experience I've had with one of my kids who is a good deal older than yours.  <smile>  Some of these cases are not cheap, either, but often they make the difference as
to weather an iPod or iPhone survives a drop.

I also believe that National Braille Press has a book that covers accessible apps for iPhones and iPods that might be of interest.  I am just trying to make the move to an iPhone myself.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson

On Tue, 5 Mar 2013 09:23:00 -0500, Richard Holloway wrote:

>Thanks to everyone for all the replies. Based on your comments, a touch sounds like a good plan, but another question comes to mind--

>My older daughter has an older iPod Touch.... somewhere. Should I bother trying to locate it? My guess is this is around and second generation and I expect it would need a battery replacement too. What is
the oldest iPod Touch any have used here successfully with Voice Over, and also with Bluetooth connecting the unit to a BraileNote Apex?

>If it is unlikely to work, I won't bother tearing the house apart searching for the thing. (Goodness knows where it has gotten stuck.)  I don't think the old Touch has seen the light of day for a couple of years or
so. Sounds like the latest iPod Touch would be ideal. I know Kendra loves Siri on my phone, etc., but also a new Touch with Siri starts around $300. I'd sort of rather wait and see how well the glass front of the
older iPod holds up to Kendra's use before I spend that much on a new one, but again, if it isn't accessible, even the search would just be wasted time.