[blindkid] iPods iDeas + homework

Brandon and Sarah lanesims at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 19:31:05 UTC 2013

Most of my thoughts on the iPod Touch echo what others already said.
Emilia has one that interfaces flawlessly with a Brailliant braille
display with VoiceOver on. She uses it for 3rd grade level grammar and
spelling homework. Math is a different story because VoiceOver doesn't
do Nemeth (there's surely a way around this, but we're trying to
support her Nemeth skills.

My only additional comments are:
- Read2Go is a great program used to access Bookshare books on the
iPod  for audio or braille display
- iA Writer is the app Emilia uses for basic word processing to do
homework. I think Denise R. recommended this.
- we invested in one of the better case/screen protectors to protect
against the inevitable drops, scratches, and bumps of that age kid
- I would recommend a higher level of memory to accomodate more books,
files, and apps.
- in my few conversations with blind folks about iPod vs iPad, there
doesn't seem to be any advantage to the iPad unless vision is being
used to take advantage of the larger screen (or perhaps if CP or some
other factor makes small finger movements difficult)
Brandon