[blindkid] Why JAWS?

Brandon and Sarah lanesims at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 22:28:03 UTC 2013

I'm trying to make sense of a recent conversation with our daughter's
TVI, who I realize is not up speed on technology - to be fair, neither
am I. We were discussing a braille notetaker vs. braille display +
computer. The TVI thinks she can justify the cost of a notetaker to
the district by not having to get JAWS. Her impression is that JAWS is
only for screenreading of internet material, which a notetaker can
theoretically do. Here is my question for those who are ahead of us on
this issue: If you have a notetaker at the elementary level and home
computer access with Voiceover, is there a strong reason to have/learn
JAWS? We have the MS Office for Mac on the home computer, so I'm less
concerned about Emilia missing out on the Windows experience than I am
about her getting more acquainted with accessing school curriculum,
doing school work, etc. by electronic means. Thanks. Brandon