[blindkid] Why JAWS?

Bo Page bo.page at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 7 13:00:29 UTC 2013

My daughter gets service through BESB in Connecticut.  If your agency is
anything like ours here in CT, don't expect too much from them.  And yes, cost
is everything to them.  I've asked for a notetaker for years and they always
found an excuse not to supply it for my daughter.  I've asked for assitive
technology and was assigned a TVI who was a "technology expert."  Don't buy into
that.  They don't have enough time to become technology experts.  My daughter is
20 years old and has one more year in the school system and she needs a lot of
help with technology and independent living.  I've tried everything to get BESB
to help her and they tell me that she can only have one hour of service per
month.  (If your jaw just dropped, it should have!) If that's what your child is
getting, it's not going to be enough to help your child learn what they need to
learn to be functional in society as a blind person.  WE as parents will have to
pick up the slack.  Don't believe anyone who tells you your child isn't ready
for this or that.  You know your child, get them what they need and don't count
on any agency to make things happen for you.  It's all a numbers game--too many
blind people to serve and not enough money.  I've got 20 years experience into
this, and the first thing I tell people is that if you feel your child needs
something, they probably do and do everything you can to make it happen for
them.  Don't worry about overloading the child.  They can handle it.  Hope this
helps someone out there.