[blindkid] 2nd into 3rd grade IEP

Bernadette Jacobs bernienfb75 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 11 17:50:11 UTC 2013

Good Afternoon Tuesday:

Bernie here.

Bill and I are having issues with our Daughter Virginia.  Although the
issues are entirely different, what I'm doing in Virginia's case may
work for Joey as well.  It's worth a shot, i think.

For one thing, it must be designated, insisted on, and otherwise duely
noted, (glued in S T O N E), that Joey's MAIN communication medium
must be Braille as his vision is far too unstable for any form of
print to be a main communication medium.  Scrap the CC TV!!

Once this is established, Another one of those S T O N E S must be
that he MUST and will be signed up for ESY, (Extended School Year)
services.  Then you push for tutor, tutor, and tutor.  We need a real
TVI who knows Braille, (if you can find such an animal.  I'm not sure
where you are.  but if you'd like to work with me offlist, You're
welcome to call me at: landline, 443-315-5080 or Cell: 410-215-8587.
Or VIA Email: bernienfb75 at gmail.com.  With all these things, we may be
able to catch Joey up so he doesn't have to repeat Third Grade.  I
know that's frightfully embarrassing to a child as is being so far
behind.  If we can teach him Braille in a relatively quick manner, we
can then justify demanding Braille for him.  In this IEP Process, if
there's one thing you must remember is that you need to stick to your
guns, because believe me!  They won't because they'll find any reason
not to and make that stick.  Don't let them scam you in to believing
they have your child's best interest at heart???  Are you kidding???
For it is you who knows your child best and whatever you do, don't you
let them forget it!!  I'm praying for you and your little Joey every
day, my friend.  One way or another Honey, we all here will love all
of you and help all of you through this!!  Promise!!!

Bernie