[blindkid] Tactile graphics question

Richard Holloway rholloway at gopbc.org
Tue Mar 26 05:41:44 UTC 2013

We find graphics for Kendra (4th grade) range from fair at best, to poor much of the time. Graphic content is often confusing and it isn't uncommon for graphic content to be somewhat different that what is described. Labels are often confusing. Sometimes graphics are referenced in Braille but not actually provided. (Talk about frustrating!) Number signs are sometimes left out, leaving students to realize that references like 1, 2, and 3, may actually point to items a, b, and c, for example. Even the better graphics often seem to assume readers must have considerable visual knowledge / reference available. I wish those providing these graphics would take a moment and ask what they think a potential user with no light perception might be able to get from graphics provided. I suspect if they did this, many of my daughter's graphics would have been redesigned.

It is also worth a mention that some texts and other materials are now web based and not only do many of the web resources completely fail to describe any visual content, but often crude attempts at animations plus some text content being provided as graphics and other means of coding the site graphical and other visual content make access of even the text content nearly impossible.

When it comes to accessibility, common sense providing of information needs to come before filling books and web sites with nifty pictures and animations.

Sent from my iPhone