[blindkid] Hadley and other online Braille resources

DrV icdx1111 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 31 05:31:16 UTC 2014

Hi Arielle,
My wife & I provide Lithuanian braille for our kids. Just like this family,
we started from scratch & now both our sons are fluent in Lithuanian.
Our eldest has been taking Spanish for years. Spanish Braille is pretty
easy - in the US and a number of other countries grade 1 braille is used -
I'm not sure about Guatemala, but that shouldn't be too hard to figure out.
I wrote an article a few years back addressing the topic of foreign
language braille from a parent's perspective with a focus on Spanish. In it
were lots of specific resources listed out in it both within the US &
abroad - many of those resources are still the same. You may get some
additional ideas by reading though it (
https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/fr/fr28/fr2/fr280207.htm). NBP &
AFB have Spanish alphabet cards. If you place a call to Seedlings or NBP &
talk to the right person there, they might be willing to donate a few
embossed Spanish braille preschool books. I'd also suggest posting on the
NFB Spanish speakers listserv
(Nfbespanol-talk<http://www.nfbnet.org/mailman/listinfo/nfbespanol-talk_nfbnet.org>)
for additional thoughts. Does the family have access to a brailler, paper &
the internet? Does she have an appropriate cane?
There is a huge transcriber group in California & I wouldn't be surprised
if some of them would be willing to help provide some braille materials.
The Knights of Columbus also does lots of volunteer work across the world -
I personally know some who have a specific interest in Guatemala & they
travel there to do volunteer work regularly - they might be willing help as
well. If you are interested in pursuing either of the latter 2, then shoot
me an email off line & we can discuss logistics.
I know of TVIs & O&Mers who volunteer in India & other parts of the world.
Perhaps a compelling story on a variety of list-serves might inspire a TVI,
transcriber, or spanish-speaking Federationist to visit Guatemala to work
with the family for a week or 2.
Best wishes,
Eric V