[blindkid] Dealing with selfish behavior

via blindkid blindkid at nfbnet.org
Mon Jun 2 17:48:39 UTC 2014

I am an adult, age 43, who has been totally blind from birth. As a child, I knew that my parents could see. From age two to age ten,
I was in a regular school with a special class for blind kids. Until about age five or six, I thought adults could see and kids
could not. I did not know when I would, "Grow into my vision," but the adults in my life saw and the kids did not. Then, we moved
into a new subdivision and I was exposed to kids who could see. They did not hesitate to let me know I was different and call me
"Blindy," instead of my name. It was then that I figured out that most people could see. It was not until I found the Federation
that I learned it is respectable to be blind.

Sincerely,
Terri Wilcox
Secretary, National Federation of the Blind of Michigan