[blindkid] Blind Student & The Sighted Band Camp (Crystal Schumacher)

Bill billlist1 at verizon.net
Fri Mar 7 16:10:32 UTC 2014

Dear Crystal,

As others have said, there are times when you need to pick your battles.  If
you decide to wage this one, I have a few ideas for you to consider.

If your son, Ben, gets support from the music educator(s) at his school, one
of them could write a letter of recommendation for him.  If such cases, it
can be a good idea to write a draft of the letter yourself and ask that busy
educator to review it, revise as he or she sees fit, and sign it.  That way,
you get to make the important points you have shared about Ben's strong
academic record, good mobility skills, and organizational habits.

If you can get some cooperation from the camp organizers or somehow get in
touch with parents of other campers, you could work on forming a network for
Ben now.  Ideally, he could get to know one of the other campers well before
camp begins.

I urge you to connect with online communities dedicated to including blind
and low vision students in music-making to network with others who may have
had similar experiences.  We at Dancing Dots offer our GoodFeelR online
listserv forum.  Subscribe at:
www.dancingdots.com/main/listgoodfeel.htm

Connect with my friend, David Goldstein, of the National Resource Center for
Blind Musicians copied here:
www.BlindMusicStudent.org

Join the Music Education Network for the Visually Impaired ( www.menvi.org )
founded by my friend, Richard Taesch, and of which I am a charter member and
advisor.

You wrote:
> If you are a special needs student, you must first get permission from the
camp to register.

My gut reaction to that statement is something like:
"Oh yeah?  Who says?"  Next question:
> If you are not a special needs student, must you first get permission from
the camp to register?

After applying a cool, moist towel to my forehead, I will say that of course
the camp needs to be aware of Ben's situation and make appropriate
preparations for him to participate fully and to prepare their staff to
support him.  But "permission" in this context sounds to me more like
"discrimination."

Again, you might consider sending Ben to a friendlier music camp instead of
or in addition to this one.  Check out:

Enchanted Hills Camp
Music Academy: August 3 - August 9, 2014

$300.00 Session Fee
 Meet for one week at Enchanted Hills camp near Napa, California, with
students who are blind or low vision interested in learning all about music
and related assistive technology. We will create a supportive and engaging
atmosphere where individuals who may be starting off at different points on
the continuum of music literacy, proficiency with assistive technology, and
performance experience have opportunities to advance in all of those areas.

I have copied the camp Director, Mr. Tony Fletcher, who would be happy to
answer any questions you may have.  The site is:
http://lighthouse-sf.org/programs/enchanted-hills/

I myself attended a three-day music festival in my senior year of high
school  I marched in our band for lots of football games, parades, and
competitions.  I know that I am far from unique.  I wish you the best in
making your decision.  Feel free to contact me directly if I may be of any
assistance.

Regards,
Bill McCann
Founder & President