[blindkid] Music camp? Another alternative!

Arielle Silverman arielle71 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 9 21:26:36 UTC 2014

No question that they're discriminating against Ben and being totally
unreasonable. The thing I don't know is whether or not the ADA covers
a private camp and whether the camp is legally required to be
non-discriminatory. If so, they're violating ADA in multiple ways,
first by setting different entrance criteria for disabled and
non-disabled students, second by turning away a student just because
of disability, and third by refusing to provide accommodations that
they think Ben needs.
I worry a little bit about arranging for another student to be Ben's
assistant. I understand it might be the only reasonable way to get
through the door, and if you talk to Ben and the other student
beforehand about what the expectations are, it could be a good
experience. But if the other student feels like he has to be
responsible for Ben's safety--especially if  the camp staff place that
expectation on him explicitly, i.e. by getting upset with him if he
and Ben are not together constantly--it could be a difficult
experience for the other student and an embarrassing one for Ben.
There are some people who discriminate against us out of fear and once
they get to know us they open up to us. Unfortunately though, there
are others who stubbornly cling to the idea that blind people can't do
things. We know from psychology that people tend to see the world in
ways that fit their expectations. So if these camp leaders expect Ben
to be totally helpless, they will probably pay more attention to times
when Ben needs help and less attention to times when he does things
well on his own. In other words, convincing them to change their minds
may be a lot harder than just having them meet Ben and get over their
fears. In the end, you will have to decide if it's worth the trouble
to try to educate them and possibly fail.

Arielle

>>> http://nfbnet.org/mailman/options/blindkid_nfbnet.org/albert%40myblindspot.o