[blindkid] Music camp? Another alternative!

Marianne Denning marianne at denningweb.com
Sun Mar 9 21:48:15 UTC 2014

I think the ADA still covers the camp.  It may be private but private
companies are covered by ADA too I hope.  A "private" company can't
refuse me services under the ADA.

On 3/9/14, Arielle Silverman <arielle71 at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> and Ben are not together constantly--it could be a difficult
> experience for the other student and an embarrassing one for Ben.
> There are some people who discriminate against us out of fear and once
> they get to know us they open up to us. Unfortunately though, there
> are others who stubbornly cling to the idea that blind people can't do
> things. We know from psychology that people tend to see the world in
> ways that fit their expectations. So if these camp leaders expect Ben
> to be totally helpless, they will probably pay more attention to times
> when Ben needs help and less attention to times when he does things
> well on his own. In other words, convincing them to change their minds
> may be a lot harder than just having them meet Ben and get over their
> fears. In the end, you will have to decide if it's worth the trouble
> to try to educate them and possibly fail.
>
> Arielle
>
> On 3/9/14, Marianne Denning <marianne at denningweb.com> wrote:
>> I agree.  Again, they can't refuse to provide the experience because
>> he is blind.  I had a student who went on her senior trip at a camp.
>> She was on the zip line, high ropes courses, and the camp leaders did
>> an excellent job of making sure she was included in all activities.
>> The camp counselors may be fine with it but the camp administration
>> has a problem.  I would gather all the information possible about the
>> camp and talk with them about how your son could participate.  You can
>> use this as an opportunity to educate and go the more forceful route
>> when all else fails.  It is very hard to be an advocate because you
>> look like the mean, bad person.  That is how we change things.  I am
>> blind and am very thankful for all blind people who changed things
>> ahead of me and I hope I change things for people who are following
>> after me.
>>
>> On 3/9/14, Crystal Schumacher <crystal_schu at hotmail.com> wrote:
>>> I just don't think it is right that they are advertising this camp at
>>> his
>>> public school and then depending on the type of disability, pick and
>>> choose
>>> who can attend. Why this camp? Because his Band teacher is teaching at
>>> it
>>> and many of his classmates will be attending. Everyone is talking about
>>> it.
>>> The teachers made it a topic at his IEP meeting, so public school is
>>> indeed
>>> involved in my opinion. How can public school allow advertisement of a
>>> private camp that would discriminate against students with disabilities?
>>>
>>> What are the camps concerns? That he won't be able to navigate the camp,
>>> that he won't be able to participate in the recreational activities, and
>>> that the camp cannot meet his needs. In my opinion, they are afraid of
>>> blindness in general and have little understanding of what it means to
>>> blind. I feel the camp would love for me to go away, that would make it
>>> easy
>>> for them. I understand that in order to get into the "club" I need to