[blindkid] ADA Question Re: Music camp? Another alternative!

Dan Burke dburke at cocenter.org
Wed Mar 12 17:40:40 UTC 2014

Public schools would be covered much as would publicly-funded colleges or universities under Title II of the ADE.  As such they should have removed certain barriers 20 years ago according to their required Transition Plans.  This would clearly include Braille signage, and has nothing to do with whether a blind child attends or not.  Major rennovations would require ensuring accessibility,but. doesn't directly apply here since achievable barriers should have been done anyway.

I worked in higher ed for nearly 20 years on compliance, etc.  The ADA is as good as the individuals willing to insist on access.  While there has been little in the way of enforcement funding for higher ed, I doubt there's been much at all for K-12.  My impression is that public schools see themselves as providing special services and really can't get their heads around broader issues of accessibility.  They are guilty of navel-gazing in this respect.  They are so willing to help you find your room, Ariel, that they just can't understand that there's any problem, because the problem is not the environment, but with you to begin with.

BTW, the ADA permits phase-in of accessible features, so it can be done over a period of time, this spreading costs over that period.

Dan Burke
Sent from iPhone
Colorado Center for the Blind
303-778-1130 ext. 213