[blindkid] Stand Alone Braille Display for Academics

Chris Nusbaum cnusbaumnfb at gmail.com
Mon Aug 24 23:52:33 UTC 2015

Eric:

I am a totally blind high school student who tries to keep my finger on the
pulse of access technology as best I can. After experimenting with
stand-alone Braille displays for some time and talking extensively with
blind students who use them, I decided that the BrailleNote Apex I had been
using for some time was ineffective for my needs and that a stand-alone
display would be much more efficient. I therefore collected a lot of
information about the displays on the market, chose the one I wanted, and
brought all my justifications to my IEP meeting where I presented them to
the school system people. I now have a Braille Edge from HIMS which I am
using with great success at school and at home. I would be glad to help you
with your justification by giving you the information I compiled and
providing you with some personal experiences from a high school student who
switched from a BrailleNote to a stand-alone display. Please feel free to
email or call me about this; my phone number is (443) 547-2409 and my email
address is dotkid.nusbaum at gmail.com.

Hope this helps,

Chris