[blindkid] Home economics

Melissa Ann Riccobono melissa at riccobono.us
Sat Jan 24 16:10:13 UTC 2015

Home Economics in sixth grade was actually one of the few times I had a
paraprofessional in a class with me. She did not do too much, but she was
there to make sure I could find ingredience, measuring cups, other tools,
and, actually, I believe, to make sure the other kids in the class wouldn't
just do everything required for each project and leave me out. I'm not
saying a paraprofessional is necessary. I think a few things could be done
to prepare Brandon and the teacher for the class ahead of time.

First, it would be helpful if Brandon could explore the kitchen sometime
without any other students being present. He could then know where things
are, check out any tools that are unfamiliar to him, know where ingredience
are, and even label ingredience in Braille if necessary. This would also
give him and the teacher a chance to talk. Brandon could maybe share things
he all ready knows how to cook, and some of the techniques he's learned at
home or in summer programs. I think the most important things for the
teacher to know are that Brandon will, obviously, use his hands a lot to
feel instead of using his eyes. She or he will also need to describe things
so Brandon can understand them, rather than just saying, "you knead the
bread dough like this." She or he could perhaps allow Brandon to feel what
he or she is doing when demos are going on. Of course, he or she will also
need to understand that stoves are no more dangerous for Brandon than they
are for any other student. As long as Brandon is being safe, there should be
no problem with him using the stove or oven. Also, again, he may use his
hands to tap gently and quickly on something to see how it is cooking. This
is fine, safe, and actually a technique professional sighted chefs use as
well.
Those are the things that come to mind. I guess the other thing is to make
sure Brandon speaks up for himself to make sure he has a part in preparing
every recipe. I don't know how his class is set up, but when I took home ec
we worked in small groups to prepare each recipe. Before we started, we
actually went through the steps of the recipe and decided who would do each
step. We divided the recipe as fairly as we could, and we also took turns
with washing and drying and putting away dishes when we were done cooking.
Brandon needs to be a part of the discussion, needs to take on tasks, and
needs to be able to assure the other kids, if they don't believe him, that
he can complete the tasks. It would be great if the teacher is on board and
can also back him up when he asserts himself. Brandon also needs to ask the
other kids to let him know what they are doing in the kitchen so he can
follow along with the steps of the recipe. I would suggest having each
recipe in hard copy Braille. You don't really want a Braille note or other
technology around food when you can help it.

Good luck! The only other thing I'd like to add is though I did have a
paraprofessional with me in sixth grade for a six week home ec course, I
took a whole semester in eighth grade of cooking and had no one assisting me
in the classs. My group members were friends of mine, which really helped,
because they knew what I was capable of and included me without a question.
Melissa