[blindkid] Science and math goals

Joy Orton ortonsmom at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 16:41:18 UTC 2018

Jen,

For science labs, the Talking LabQuest and LoggerPro software can help your
daughter do more labs for herself rather than relying on a classmate. This
equipment and software are expensive, but we were able to get our state
agency for the blind to purchase it and let the district borrow it. One
component that needs to be included is training for the classroom teacher
and TVI or special ed teacher on how to use the equipment. The school might
choose to have your daughter go through the training with the teachers, OR
have the teachers train your daughter after they are trained.

I suggest making sure that your daughter has a braille textbook for both
classes, and that the teacher provides a braille or electronic copy of
notes in advance. It's hard to catch all the information from a lecture
with just listening, if the teacher is using visuals by writing on the
board or projecting on a screen.

Another helpful accommodation is for your daughter to read the chapter or
section in advance of the class. For blind students, research has shown
this to help them learn and retain the information better in science
classes. I don't know if the research included math, but I would expect a
similar result.

Sincerely,
Joy Orton

Hello,
  It is IEP time and I would like my daughter?s school to step  it up. This
year in Chemistry they had her rely on a friend for getting through labs.
In particular I would like to consider some science (physics) and math
(calculus) goals. Does anyone have any resources they can suggest for
possible goals and or accommodations for my daughter who has light
perception?
Thank you
Regards
Jen Cusack