[blindlaw] National Federation of the Blind Responds to Authors Guild Statement on the Amazon Kindle 2

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Sat Feb 14 00:12:41 UTC 2009

Where I think your logic breaks down a little is when texts are readily availlable for purchase in electronic format which is
what I understand is the case with these Amazon books but are not accessible to us.  There may come a day when a
text-to-speech engine is as good as a human reader, but I have yet to see one that can really compete with
commercially produced audio books.  Perhaps the Author's Guild is thinking ahead to the day when that will happen and
in that sense, I can understand their position.  On the other hand, there is a practical side of all this that is not being
considered.  Is it right to allow the print to be made easier to read through an electronic device that can enhance the
contrast or enlarge the print but not to speak it, or is the Author's Guild contending that to alter the pring in any way is a
violation of their copyright?  Certainly I can see some of the concerns of the Author's Guild, but I also see their position
as not being in touch with reality in some ways as well.  If someone marked up the text to force characters to be spoken
in different voices, for example, I could better understand their objection.  The best approach, to me, though, is to try to
work toward a reasoned solution that takes into account the fact that there are some fuzzy lines, and that they should
be worrying about the more obvious lines.  Why not try to work out a standard that limits the quality of the text-to-speech
voices used, for example.  For us, the problem is simply that if we could get access to a book using technology that is
aimed, at least sort of, at the mainstream, we'll get it faster and more quickly.  We will also be more likely to pay for the
book.  We also have the current move toward the provision of college textbooks to all students, and this would reduce
the enthusiasm that might otherwise be displayed to make such books accessible using the software required to read
the books.  Publishers have been helpful in getting us electronic copies of textbooks, but I would not say that they have
always bent over backwards to do it, and I suspect that the passage and threat of passage of certain laws has probably
forced some degree of cooperation.

In short, I do understand the concern that author's might have, but I also feel this is the typical response that is always
looking back instead of ahead.  After all, music on cassettes meant the end of commercial music, and we should have
stayed with records.  The line between print and text-to-speech has long been growing finer with text-to-speech being
added to software for the benefit of sighted persons as well as the blind.  It is a part of Adobe Acrobat, Microsoft Office,
and OmniPage just for text reading and not specifically for accessibility.  These rendoring are not the same as a
commercial audio recording read by someone who usually has a professional acting background.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson