[blindlaw] National Federation of the Blind Responds to AuthorsGuild Statement on the Amazon Kindle 2

Chris Danielsen cdanielsen8 at aol.com
Sat Feb 14 13:02:34 UTC 2009

What's at issue here is the definition of "an audio version of their work."
I think you're absolutely right that an author has the right to control
whether his work will be read by a voice actor and sold to the public, or
whether it will be dramatized as a radio play. However, text-to-speech
software reading an electronic text aloud isn't a separate or derivative
work; it's merely a format shift. Now, if I generate a text-to-speech
version of a book, convert it to an MP3 file, and sell it to my friends,
then I've violated the author's copyright. But if I read that text-to-speech
version in the privacy of my own home, I haven't. The Authors Guild is
trying to say that reading aloud, when done by a machine, is somehow
different from reading aloud when done, say, by a parent to his kids. In my
opinion that's a distinction without a difference. Now, if that same parent
invites the neighbors' kids over and charges their parents for the privilege
of hearing him read a story, then you have a copyright violation, but not
when he simply reads the story aloud in his home. And I think you're right
that even if the authors could technically win on the audio version
argument, the use of the text in a different format by a blind person would
still be aprotected fair use. But I see that as a fallback argument, in case
some court rules with the Authors Guild on the first issue.

Patrick's argument relying on the betamax decision is I think the best
analogy. If I remember right, the Betamax decision had to do with VCR's, and
movie makers argued among other things that a person could generate illegal
copies of a work using that technology. But the fact that a technology *can*
be used for illegal purposes doesn't mean that all purposes for which it can
be used are illegal. With VCR's, watching a video tape of a program in your
own home was ruled to be legal; selling that video tape to someone else
would have been illegal. But the studios were not allowed by the courts to
take away the fair use rights of viewers simply because some people might
abuse those rights.

Authors and publishers want us to stick to the old model where a book has to
be produced in a specialized format to be used by the blind. That model has
served us reasonably well, but with today's technology there's simply no
reason for it to be the *only* model. Ultimately, I want to be able to buy a
brand new book from Amazon and read it right away, just like everyone else
does. Whether I read it in Braille, via text-to-speech, or by some other
means is not relevant to the discussion, as long as all I'm doing is reading
the work for my own personal pleasure or edification. Authors and publishers
want to slice the pie of rights as thinly as possible so that they can sell
the same work more than once. They're afraid that text-to-speech will kill
their ability to sell audio books. I don't think this is true. There are
many times when a novel has been available both on Bookshare and on Audible
and I've decided to buy the audio book because I prefer that fiction be read
by a human reader; I'm not as picky about nonfiction. So I thik there's room
for both formats.

Chris