[blindlaw] RE Guide Dogs in the Workplace

Elizabeth Rene emrene at earthlink.net
Fri Dec 17 22:21:32 UTC 2010

Andrew,

I practiced Law with guide dogs for 16 years, and partnered with them for
two years in major medical centers during seminary while training for
hospital chaplaincy.  And I laughed out loud when I read James's post.

He's absolutely right about guide dogs in the law office and in court.  I
want to add, as a woman attorney, that the presence of my dog ensured that
my criminal defendants treated me with respect!  Having had a dog in court
has left me with some of the best stories to tell, too.  Every judge reacted
positively towards my dogs, and my canine colleague added to the general
bonhomie of the office.

The medical teams I worked with loved my dogs, and with only an exception or
two, all of my patients (kids especially) loved my dog.

My dogs had a vastly expanded life, many adventures, and an ever-growing
network of friends and fans because of their dual-career status.  They
weren't just mobility tools, they were my partners in everything I did, and
have been remembered by others decades after their passing.

Go for it!

Elizabeth