[blindlaw] Reading confidential documents with Aira?

Ali aliherky at gmail.com
Wed Nov 7 17:53:09 UTC 2018

Do you use a screen reader?

 ----- Original Message -----
From: Tai Tomasi via BlindLaw <blindlaw at nfbnet.org
Date sent: Wed, 7 Nov 2018 15:09:56 +0000
Subject: Re: [blindlaw] Reading confidential documents with Aira?

James and all:

Aira has nondisclosure and confidentiality terms in their terms
of service. The retainer I have clients sign stresses that their
documents may be reviewed by non-attorney agents of my firm. I
use Aira to read documents in confidential client matters. Before
reading the documents, I ask the agent to stop recording my call.
They have always agreed to do so. I continue to urge Aira to
allow the user to discontinue recording so that we have
confirmation that the call is no longer being recorded. I would
prefer a way to verify this for myself. I then ask them to issue
me a Zoom meeting ID which I type into Zoom. The agent and I are
then entered into a Zoom meeting. Zoom allows you to share a
window or your entire screen with the Aira agent. I limit the
agent's access to only the window I specify and grant them
control to use the mouse to scroll through the document as they
read.

Because video recording has been stopped and I have not sent
documents to an Aira agent via email, the documents remain
property of my firm. Therefore, Aira does not retain these
materials. While the agent reads, I can also open a notepad
document in which the agent or I can write notes about the
document we are reviewing. My employer was satisfied with these
safeguards, and I feel I am complying with my state's rules of
professional conduct. I continue to urge firms to execute agency
agreements with Aira, similar to those one would execute with a
firm that provides language interpretation. I would like to see
the National Association of Blind Lawyers and Aira collaborate to
develop a model for such an agreement.