[Blindmath] A famous Texie has a change of heart

P. R. Stanley prstanley at ntlworld.com
Sat Nov 7 11:03:35 UTC 2009

>This recent Tex User's Group interview with Sebastian Rahtz, who
>worked with TeX for 15 years, is fascinating.
>
>http://www.tug.org/interviews/rahtz.html
>

>"SR: When the great Jon Bosak revealed the first draft of XML at one
>of the SGML meetings, it just seemed so right that I knew this was
>the future. It was not that TeX-the-engine was wrong, just
>TeX-as-input-language.
>
>DW:     TeX-as-input-language....?
>
>SR:     I mean that writing documents using backslashes and braces
>is just not on any more. I don't mind writing style files like that,
>but for an input document I want a syntax I can validate..."

Paul: XML as a protocol is a comprehensive and easily comprehensible
system. MathML is merely an application of XML, two very different
things. If someone claims to enjoy trips abroad doesn't necessarily
denote that he enjoys visiting every god forsaken far flung corner of
the globe. We don't know what Mr Rahtz thinks of mathML.
In any case, I feel that our famous Mr Rahtz is being misquoted here
which is rather naughty, to say the least.
However, even if he were speaking specifically about mathML, his
statement still fails to address the issue that I and others have
raised already: that mathML is too verbose to be hacked manually and
at present there are no truly screen reader friendly environments for
creating mathML output.
What makes LaTeX an attractive choice is its terseness, the fact that
you can typset a paper in NotePad more efficiently than someone
struggling with MS Word.
Yet, let's be even more generous and assume that Mr Rahtz loves
mathML is in fact planning to leave his wife and children to pursue a
life devoted to mathML, one changed mind doesn't render a
well-established system useless.
Still, it is the individual's choice what he does with his life. We
all know what happened to Pinocchio when he accepted the ride to
toytown although I reckon some have already been there. (grin)