[Blindmath] Scanning Math

Roopakshi Pathania r_akshi_tgk at yahoo.com
Sun Apr 11 18:08:31 UTC 2010

Hi Darlene,

In most cases the printed handout would have been produced on the computer.

If the teacher uses Microsoft Word to produce the handout and insert equations, then the student can use MathType to convert Word into a web page with embedded MathML.
See this for more information on this step.
http://www.dessci.com/en/products/MathType/features.htm

The HTML + MathML can then be converted into Nemeth Braille using Liblouisxml.
See this guide on Liblouisxml.
http://www.jjb-software.com/liblouisxml-guide.html

The teacher could also use LaTeX, a commonly used language for scientific documents to produce the handouts.
In this case, Sarah has already suggested an option for converting LaTeX into Braille.

If it comes down to scanning, then InftyReader is the only option for Math content.

Regards