[Blindmath] Questions about accommodations

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Fri Jun 4 00:34:48 UTC 2010

I have to say I am really getting quite fed up with this. While I don't
want to seem like a moderator, I feel this has gone and missed the point
and is probably just causing argument where its not needed.

Firstly my point was trying to get at, supporting the student within
their study by assisting them access course materials and course
activities is fully reasonable and here in the UK universities and
colleges should provide this support. Only get out would be if it is
unreasonable (eg. safety issues like I wasn't allowed to handle certain
things in the lab, however having someone there to handle those
materials for me and help know what is happening was a reasonable
adjustment).

Then I went on to say that while the student may have personal
requirements (we will leave out exactly what this might necessarily be
as it can differ from person to person and we shouldn't prejudge (NOTE
TO Susan: sometimes in the UK we refer to doing the laundry as "doing
the washing", you stick clothes in the washing machine for washing, so
that form of "washing" may be something a blind person may want help
with at any age, how are you meant to see if that stain where you spilt
a drink on your clothes has come out in the wash. As for cooking, well
may be they didn't get the best training in how to do that safely,
because of that they lack confidence and so up to this point may never
have moved out of their parents home, may be surprising but I think
possible)) but this is something beyond what would be reasonable to ask
from the university/college. Here in the UK that support would be
arranged by social services (the local government team responsible for
these matters). You would have these needs regardless of whether you
study, so certainly aren't academic support needs. Some seem to think
that it was suggested such needs should be met by the educational
institution, I certainly didn't say that and I think the only one who
made a case for it came in quite late on.

Finally we will move to the area which is possibly a bit murky. Support
with getting about. I think the best thing to say is that if the student
can make a reasonable case why this support is needed for them to be
able to study (IE. knowing how to get to lectures seems reasonable) then
it probably should be provided. Beyond that it becomes optional but a
certain amount of support with initial orientation may be useful (eg.
when I went to university, I was in a completely new city, unable to see
any sign posts, etc, the university agreed to allow the orientation to
cover a few local services like the local shops and the rail station as
well as the campus, it probably helped having the extra as it meant I
felt more comfortable socially and could get on with personal matters,
rather than worrying about how to find somewhere get food, being able to
get home to see family, etc without loosing time to being lost, so
meaning I could just concentrate on the studying). So in this bit there
may be somethings which really should be provided and may be there are
some things which aren't required to be provided but should the
university intend to make the students life there a good experience then
they may wish to go that little further.

As I said at the beginning, I think a discussion down this line really
missed the point of the question, I am only writing this to make what I
said clear as I feel people got the wrong end of the stick on what I
said. I only raised issues of the matters which aren't directly
supporting the study as Bernard had mentioned them and I felt it was
worth briefly stating my experience in this matter and to indicate how
far reasonable requests for support from the university may go and at
what point it really has nothing to do with the university.

I would hope now we go back to discussing matters which really belong on
this list, but...

Michael Whapples