[Blindmath] Statistics

John Gardner john.gardner at orst.edu
Wed Mar 3 18:37:03 UTC 2010

Hello Peter/Tony.  well I do not know if your book is available in
accessible form, but it is pretty unlikely since there are extremely few
high level science texts that are.  However, unlike "a few years ago",
it is now possible to create accessible copies relatively quickly and
inexpensively that are better in most respects to what is available by
old methods.  So I don't understand the comment about needing to
reformat the PDF's.

Scientific text can be converted pretty easily by using the Infty Reader
OCR software available from the Japanese Infty group:
http://www.inftyproject.org/
This application does an excellent job of OCR'ing text and math
equations.  It can export as XHTML which is readable by anybody
including by a blind student using Internet Explorer with the MathPlayer
plug-in.  The math equations are spoken by a screen reader, and many
blind people find it far easier to have equations in braille.  Which is
not available from IE because of screen reader limitations.  However the
XHTML can be converted to braille by the free liblouisxml application
that you can find by Googling.  So the Infty software leads to either
audio or braille, whichever the blind student finds most preferable.

If the images are important (and they are of course), one can convert
them to "audio-accessible" form using the ViewPlus IVEO Creator Pro
software.  The blind student reads the SVG images made by IVEO using a
tactile copy and a touchpad.  Oregon State has the ViewPlus embosser
needed to make tactile copy already.  FYI, Viewplus is a spinoff from
Oregon State University.

Another FYI is that the emerging standard library for such books, once
converted, is Bookshare.org.  I do not know the current state of
cooperation between Bookshare and higher education/OSU, but I hope that
we are rapidly heading for a time where Bookshare will be able to have a
copy for the next blind student who needs it.

John Gardner
Professor Emeritus, Physics, Oregon State University