[Blindmath] Version 0.0.6 of SVGDraw01 is now available for download

Kevin Chao kevinchao89 at gmail.com
Sun Sep 11 02:51:50 UTC 2011

Hi Professor Baldwin,

I would like to express my huge thanks, appreciation, and respect for
you developing such an amazing tool. It's been incredible and amazing
all the interaction, attention to detail, want for clarification,
encouraging and having user feedback drive future of SVGDraw.

Based on all interactions and updates to this point, which I have
traced and read all messages surrounding this topic on this list; it
seems that it only works on Windows x86 (32-bit). Based on this, it
looks like, it is not possible for me, who has a MacBook Pro 13" with
OS X Lion and a Dell XPS M1330 with Windows 7 x64 (64-bit) to take
SVGDraw for a spin, testing, and making it work for me.

In the case of Mac, I did not see any discussion of SVGDraw working in
that environment, but it was suggested to Pranav to run SVGDraw  in a
32-bit JVM on Windows 7 64-bit, which based on Pranav's  initial test
on Sep 5 works. However, I have not seen any one else who has Windows
7 x64 report good, bad, or anything on SVGDraw.

Is running SVGDraw in a 32-bit JVM on Windows 7 64-bit the recommended
route or will there be a x64 version later?

>From what I have gathered, the two most common ways of viewing the
output are using vOICe (Amanda ) and emboss using Tiger (Ben.

While, i do understand the the thinking up until this point, design,
and development has been focused on students creating their own
accessible SVG and it being used to output accessible SVG aurally or
tactilley.

I really think that this should be the standard for creating
accessible SVG and that it should be part of production, where
publishers and authors are using it in work-flow, such as Adobe
InDesign  and other tools. Of course, there would have to be
guidelines on how to make accessible SVG for audio and tactile, but
the technology piece has been solved. One of the more recent features
of being able to import really opens the door to being able to
exchange accessibel SVG, which has amazing potential, including having
user-generated repository, and can be used until it can be integrated
in publishing and authoring production process.

This would solve one of the largest issues in STEM accessibility,
which is  a agreed upon standard, which is robust, versatile, and
reliable in/output accessible SVG.

Kevin