[Blindmath] Version 0.0.6 of SVGDraw01 is now available for download

Richard Baldwin baldwin at dickbaldwin.com
Sun Sep 11 04:01:44 UTC 2011

Hi Kevin,
Thanks for the positive feedback. Before getting into your specific
questions, let me give you an update as to where the development stands
tonight.

Since publishing Version 0.0.6 of SVGDraw01, I have added the following
features:

Ability to save, and then open a drawing file later as an alternative to
having to start from scratch each time.
Ability to review and delete shapes that are no longer needed in the
drawing.
Ability to rotate shapes.
Ability to translate shapes.
A variety of operational features aimed at accessibility and ease of use.

Very soon, I will have added the ability to scale shapes. I may decide to
call that version 0.0.7 and publish it for others to use and evaluate.

Now I will embed my responses to your comments in your message below
identified by rgb] in the left margin.

On Sat, Sep 10, 2011 at 9:51 PM, Kevin Chao <kevinchao89 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Professor Baldwin,
>
> I would like to express my huge thanks, appreciation, and respect for
> you developing such an amazing tool. It's been incredible and amazing
> all the interaction, attention to detail, want for clarification,
> encouraging and having user feedback drive future of SVGDraw.
>
> Based on all interactions and updates to this point, which I have
> traced and read all messages surrounding this topic on this list; it
> seems that it only works on Windows x86 (32-bit).

rgb] You are correct. The current version works only on Windows 32-bit. This
is a choice that I have made during development so as to minimize the
maintenance effort during development. At some point, I will also publish a
version that will work on Windows 64-bit. Assuming that there are 64-bit
compatible versions of JDOM and SWT available, I don't anticipate any
technical problems with that other than the routine issues of getting the
correct versions of the 64-bit software pulled together.

> Based on this, it
> looks like, it is not possible for me, who has a MacBook Pro 13" with
> OS X Lion and a Dell XPS M1330 with Windows 7 x64 (64-bit) to take
> SVGDraw for a spin, testing, and making it work for me.

rgb] If you have access to a machine with Windows 7, you can download and
install 32-bit Java on that  machine in addition to 64-bit Java and run
SVGDraw under the 32-bit version.

> In the case of Mac, I did not see any discussion of SVGDraw working in
> that environment, but it was suggested to Pranav to run SVGDraw  in a
> 32-bit JVM on Windows 7 64-bit, which based on Pranav's  initial test
> on Sep 5 works. However, I have not seen any one else who has Windows
> 7 x64 report good, bad, or anything on SVGDraw.

rgb] You are correct. Pranav reported success in running SVGDraw01 using a
32-bit jvm on Windows 7.

rgb] I don't have access to or experience with a Mac of any variety. The
same is true for Linux. Therefore, it will probably be a long time before a
Mac version or a Linux version of SVGDraw will be available. I will have to
enlist the efforts of a Mac programmer and a Linux programmer to accomplish
that, and I haven't had any conversations along those lines yet.

> Is running SVGDraw in a 32-bit JVM on Windows 7 64-bit the recommended
> route or will there be a x64 version later?

rgb] As mentioned above, there will be a 64-bit version later provided JDOM
and SVG are both 64-bit compatible.

> From what I have gathered, the two most common ways of viewing the
> output are using vOICe (Amanda ) and emboss using Tiger (Ben.

rgb] There are other alternatives that fall between those two in terms of
quality. For example, I know of no reason not to print the graphs on
so-called "swell paper" and develop the tactile aspect of the drawing using
an approved heater.

> While, i do understand the the thinking up until this point, design,
> and development has been focused on students creating their own
> accessible SVG and it being used to output accessible SVG aurally or
> tactilley.
>
> I really think that this should be the standard for creating
> accessible SVG and that it should be part of production, where
> publishers and authors are using it in work-flow, such as Adobe
> InDesign  and other tools. Of course, there would have to be
> guidelines on how to make accessible SVG for audio and tactile, but
> the technology piece has been solved. One of the more recent features
> of being able to import really opens the door to being able to
> exchange accessibel SVG, which has amazing potential, including having
> user-generated repository, and can be used until it can be integrated
> in publishing and authoring production process.

I agree with that completely. For example, it should become possible to
exchange SVG files for a variety of purposes, including for the purpose of
providing accessible technical diagrams for STEM textbooks.

> This would solve one of the largest issues in STEM accessibility,
> which is  a agreed upon standard, which is robust, versatile, and
> reliable in/output accessible SVG.

Once again, thanks for the feedback. Hopefully you can install 32-bit Java
on your Win 7 machine and take SVGDraw for a spin.

Dick Baldwin