[Blindmath] BANA still considering abolishing the Nemeth braille code

Steve Jacobson steve.jacobson at visi.com
Wed Sep 14 02:00:09 UTC 2011

Since Susan's note was forwarded to several other NFBNET lists and generated some discussion, I want to post a
response here similar to those I have posted elsewhere.  My intent is not to take a specific position on a code but to
try to shed some additional light on this topic.

Some twenty years ago or more, Dr. Nemeth and Dr. Tim Cranmer of Kentucky expressed opinions that something
needed to be done with the braille code to prepare for the future.  As things evolved, Dr. Cranmer favored what was
then called the Unified English Braille Code, (UEBC).  Dr. Nemeth opposed that code for a number of reasons.  Both of
them played a significant role in the various science and research arms of the National Federation of the blind and
both were respected greatly by our members.  As a result of his opposition, Dr. Nemeth began work on what he called
the Nemeth Unified Braille System or NUBS.  His work on that code ended several years ago, and BANA has done
some research into how braille readers react to NUBS as they did some time back for UEBC.  Many NFB members and
other persons participated in that study.  There are several links to information on this near the bottom of BANAs home
page at

http://www.brailleauthority.org/

It seems clear to me now that we need to find a way for braille to be able to accommodate the mixture of literary and
technical material in a way that computerized translation can be accurately performed.  I didn't believe this twenty
years ago.  I am sure I said something like the braille code is for braille readers, not for computers.  Things have
changed, though.  We now have more paperless displays even if they are still too expensive, and we're seeing
students reading textbooks directly from computer files with little or no place to insert a braille transcriber.  If in the long
run we can't get braille to work in these environments, blind persons will use speech and lose the advantages of
braille.

As consumers, we need to think about how this can best be achieved and we need to learn some about the various
codes as they are proposed.  We also need to learn how print has evolved over the past few decades and how using
computers has added many options to how information can be presented, even when it is presented on paper.  What
does this mean for the Nemeth Code as we know it.  At this point, it is certainly not a foregone conclusion that it will
disappear.

The NFB representative to BANA is Jennifer Dunnam who also is the president of the NFB of Minnesota.  Since I am
the vice-president of that affiliate, we worked together on issues and she asked me to post the following:

"Since I am the NFB's representative on BANA, Steve Jacobson has shared with
me some of the discussion that has occurred on lists regarding BANA and the
Nemeth Code.  In addition to the excellent points that he has made, I would
strongly urge everyone to please read the three-part article that is being
distributed by BANA, the first part of which appeared in the May Braille
Monitor, and the second part of which will appear in Octobers (to be
followed shortly by the third).  The article is intended to lay out the
issues confronting all of us at braille users and what BANA is considering.
Please know that BANA is engaged in a thoughtful process and will not be
making snap decisions.  We have asked for and will continue to seek input
from all concerned, and we want people to be informed as well."

The article that Jennifer mentioned is also available on the BANA web site and is good reading.  I think that it is worth
pointing out that many of the issues go well beyond math.  It is right for us to be concerned about how math will be
represented in braille, but we need to educate ourselves on what is being proposed and influence events as is in our
best interest.  Change should not be made for the sake of change.  However, neither should change be opposed
simply because it represents something new.  Whatever happens with braille, it needs to happen because we
educated ourselves about the options, and learned the strengths and weaknesses of each.

Best regards,

Steve Jacobson