[Blindmath] BANA still considering abolishing the Nemeth braille code

Susan Jolly easjolly at ix.netcom.com
Wed Sep 14 20:41:14 UTC 2011

Thank you Steve for the additional information.

In case this email is also reposted elsewhere, I will start with some of my
credentials.  I apologize to those of you who are already familiar with my
background but I feel that it is important to make it extremely clear why my
opinions deserve consideration and respect and also to make it extremely
clear that I would benefit neither professionally nor financially from any
decisions BANA makes. Those of you who aren't interested please free to skip
down to the row of asterisks.

I just turned 71 years old and have been retired from paid work for quite
some time. I earned an A.B. in chemistry from Oberlin, an M.A.T. in
chemistry education from Johns Hopkins, and a Ph.D. in theoretical chemistry
from U. C. Irvine.  My first, pre-Ph.D., career was as a high school
chemistry teacher but, although I loved teaching, I did not have the
patience to deal with the public school bureaucracy which was bad even many
years ago. After obtaining my Ph.D. I had a sucessful career as a
computational scientist working at a National Lab on several different
science-based programming teams where I developed and implemented numerical
algorithms, helped with code maintenance and extensions, and worked directly
with numerous in-house users. Just in case it isn't obvious, the point of
this brief vita is to make it clear that I have a very strong background in
both mathematics and computer software.

I am sighted and became interested in braille by happenstance after I
retired because braille had long been an interest of my father's.  My
father, an emeritus professor of chemical engineering, was active as a
volunteer in the braille field in the early 1970's and attended numerous
meetings including at least one NFB meeting.  He developed hardware
prototypes related to tactile graphics and hard-copy reproduction and wrote
a print-to-braille translator in Snobol. I have many of the newsletters and
other artifacts that he collected during that period.

Since April 2001 I have spent many more than the 10,000 hours supposedly
required to achieve mastery in a field. I've learned about the history of
braille and the history of automated braille production, learned EBAE and
Nemeth, carefully studied the technical details of the UEBC proposal,
written programs in Java and ANTLR to interconvert EBAE and print and to
backtranslate from Nemeth to print, and developed and maintained my
dotlessbraille.org website.  (I'm leaving out much more.)  I've kept up with
the field of braille education by closely following several other lists in
addition to Blindmath, by attending two conferences, and by a great deal of
reading.

An accomplishment I'm especially proud of despite its ending in tragedy is
that I was instrumental in getting Prof. Eitan Gurari of the Ohio State
Department of Computer Science and Engineering interested in automating the
conversion of technical material to Nemeth braille. In July 2003 he obtained
NSF Award #0312487 to support this effort.  Dr. Gurari most unfortunately
passed away unexpectedly two years ago and his work was lost.

The best thing about my volunteer effort has been the many friends and
acquaintances I've made both here in the US and in at least eight other
countries.  This group includes braille users and other persons who are part
of the braille community including parents, TVIs, transcribers, software
developers, and DSS officers.  I won't name names but I've visited at least
four Blindmath members in their hometowns and have exchanged countless
emails with many of you as well as with many others in the braille
community. I am especially grateful for your generosity in answering my many
questions! Thank you.

******

Now to some of the points in Steve's email.

First as to the history of the UEBC.  As best as I can tell, Tim Cranmer,
who died in 2001, was indeed well-loved, well-respected, and unusually
talented.  However, he was primarily self-taught and his doctorate was an
honorary degree awarded by the University of Louisville where his friend,
Dr. Emerson Foulke, a blind professor of psychology, taught.  Dr. Foulke,
who died in 1997, was also part of the original UEBC committee and he was
the one who was so adamantly committed to upper numbers, that is, to using
the same braille cells for the decimal digits as are also used for certain
Latin letters. You can read more about Cranmer and Foulke in these two
articles posted on the NFB site.
http://nfb.org/legacy/bm/bm02/bm0201/bm020117.htm
http://nfb.org/legacy/bm/bm98/bm980214.htm

Happily, both Joe Sullivan, Duxbury CEO, and Dr. Abraham Nemeth, retired
professor of mathematics, who were the other two members of the original
committee, are still alive.

I read Part I of the BANA three-part article when it first came out.  I
agree that there have been significant changes that the US braille community
needs to consider.  First, the shift from teaching braille users in special
schools to mainstreaming has obviously had a large impact on the amount and
variety of materials that need to be transcribed to braille.  Second, the
multiple changes to the formatting of print documents due to electronic
publishing has created great difficulties in adhering to the principle that
a braille transcription should reflect all aspects of the corresponding
print edition.

I don't have any idea what changes to the braille rules, if any, would help
address these and other problems.

I do, however, feel very strongly that it would be much more difficult to
read and write mathematics if the same characters were to be used for the
digits as for certain letters.

I'm also sure that the change BANA notes is continuing and that the pace of
change is increasing. One other example is the growing use of online
educational materials and e-books. These factors imply to me that the best
solutions will require a new international effort that incorporates input
from a variety of smart, talented, and knowledgeable people.

You might at first be surprised at the word "international."   However, when
you stop to realize that formatting is much more of a problem for braille
transcription than is translating, you can see that a big part of the
problem is independent of a particular language.  Moreover digital standards
such as MathML, SVG, and software algorithms are not tied to a particular
natural language.

There are many software applications that successfully address problems that
are much more difficult than automatically transcribing print to braille. It
is my belief that the primary reason why braille textbook production is
still so expensive has to do with the lack of resources, not to any unique
difficulty of the problem. Consider, for one simple example, the success of
predictive-text algorithms such as T9 which allow you to enter text using
only nine keys where each key represents three or four letters.  The
algorithm figures out which letter is intended. I would not have guess that
this was possible.

Sincerely,

Susan Jolly
www.dotlessbraille.org