[Blindmath] Tactile graphing "calculator"

Ben Humphreys brh at opticinspiration.org
Mon Sep 19 09:28:30 UTC 2011

I'm wondering what other options are out there for producing tactile graphs.

Here's what I'm using now:

1.  Go to www.fooplot.com
2.  Entering a function such as x^2  in one of the formula fields.
3.  Unchecking the third checkbox which seems to turn off trid lines,
which I find distracting
4.  Click Plot Graph button
5.  Going to the combo box, choosing PDF as format , then Save button
6.  When PDF opens, I'm printing the graph to a Tiger embosser

This is a time-consuming process, both because of the steps necessary
at fooplot.com and the need to emboss everything with the Tiger.

I'm wondering if folks out there are using computer algebra systems
successfully to produce graphs, systems like Maple, Mathmatica, or
Matlab in place of fooplot.com.

Also, would Iveo be able to render a plot, say such as an SVG and
convey its shape to me tactilly?  fooplot.com does seem to have an
SVG option and I'd love not to have to emboss every single equation
that I want to visualize.

Finally, anyone know how I might label the PDFs I produce with
fooplot?  Is there a simple way of "typing" braille onto a PDF file
so when it embosses, it gets labeled?

Thanks,

Ben