[Blindmath] Braille display and newlines

Susan Jolly easjolly at ix.netcom.com
Mon Sep 19 17:13:11 UTC 2011

It is true that at the end of each line there is a character or character
sequence known as a newline.  However, the braille display should be acting
like a printer does and interpreting the newline as a signal to go to the
next line rather than it's taking up space.  My guess is that something else
is causing the student's problem and that in the long run he'd be better off
figuring out the real reason by calling the manufacturer or posting on an
appropriate list.

I will point out that different computer systems use different
representations for and end-of-line, some one character and some two
characters.  It's possible that somehow the newlines have gotten changed in
the brf file to be inconsistent with what the braille display expects. You
can read more about the general problems with the different newlines in this
Wikipedia article.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newline

Note that you can seem something similar in the print world.  For example,
if you import a text file from a Unix system to a Windows system and open it
in NotePad, the lines will be all run together because NotePad doesn't
recognize the Unix newline.  However, Windows wordprocessors such as Word
are smart enough to recognize the Unix newline.

SusanJ