[Blindmath] A 3d to 2d description resource?

Pranav Lal pranav.lal at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 16:08:02 UTC 2012

Hi John,
<snip
If anybody would like to organize an archive of images and tutorials that
could explain the principles of 3d to 2d projections understandable by blind
people, it would be a good subject for the www.Access2Science.com web site.
PL] I would be happy to do this. I was thinking about a wiki where we could
start adding descriptions and linking to relevant SVG files.

<snip This seems to be one of the most difficult
things for most congenitively blind people to understand.  As a person who
was sighted for much of my life, I understand it intuitively but have never
tried to explain it to someone who didn't understand it.  The idea of
projection should not be too difficult.  But projection is only a tiny part
of drawing images.
PL] I am congenitively blind so can relate to this. I was discussing this
with my civil engineer dad and he mentioned that a cylindrical glass would
look like a rectangle when seen in 2d. This is totally beyond me right now.
Engineers learn all this in a subject called engineering drawing. Has anyone
on this list studied it?

Pranav