[Blindmath] Graphics

Andrew Stacey andrew.stacey at math.ntnu.no
Tue Jan 31 20:03:08 UTC 2012

I was also very interested to read Prof Baldwin's description.  I'm afraid I'm
too set in my ways to try anything other than a LaTeX-based solution (which
has a slight implication for those complaining about the accessibility of PDF:
if you want to replace it, the replacement has to be *as good* for sighted
mathematicians as PDF is, so it might be a better strategy to work on making
it easy for a mathematician using LaTeX to produce accessible PDFs), but
I have heard of a web-based slide show system that might be of interest: S5.

Main webpage: http://meyerweb.com/eric/tools/s5/

The reason that I know of it is that the instiki wiki software can be used to
create these slideshows from wiki pages.  The wiki page can also be viewed in
non-slide show mode on a web browser, thus providing a copy of the notes in
accessible form.  The instiki wiki software uses MathML to display the maths
so is accessible (!?) (and I know that the developer of the software is
interested in making it truly accessible).  The input format is Markdown+iTeX,
the latter part of which is a subset of LaTeX for mathematics.  I've also
written a LaTeX class that can translate (approximately) true LaTeX to the
right format for this, meaning that if I weren't so set in my ways then
I could truly have my cake and eat it: write my slides in LaTeX and then
convert them to XHTML+MathML for viewing on the web.

Andrew Stacey