[Blindmath] sci notebook and duxbury woes

George Bell george at techno-vision.co.uk
Tue Sep 11 11:35:36 UTC 2012

Another commercial contributor here.

As many here already know, my company work very closely with Duxbury,
and here in the UK, faced with resolving the production of Math
braille, were introduced the MathType by Birkir.

However, we also support many users in Africa where math is often not
taught, simply because producing math braille has been so difficult.

Working closely with Duxbury and braille math experts, great
improvements were many to the translation of MathType into Duxbury
over the last two years or so.

I should say that up until then, we had been using Scientific Notebook
(S/N), but MathType had many advantages which we felt made it more
beneficial.  To start with, the Education price was around one third
of that of S/N.  The amount may not seem significant, but in the 3rd
world, it was a major issue.

MathType works directly inside Word for Windows, which is still
commonly used and so is a familiar starting point when you are having
to produce support which we do.

Producing large print math from Word/MathType files is extremely easy.

And equally importantly, speaking as a dealer cum developer, Design
Science have been extremely supportive and helpful all round.  I
cannot emphasise this point enough.

George Bell
Managing Director
Techno-Vision Systems Ltd