[Blindmath] Base ten block symbols

Susan Jolly easjolly at ix.netcom.com
Sun Feb 9 00:27:05 UTC 2014

I don't think there is a simple answer to this question.  A while back there
was a discussion on this list of why perspective drawings of
three-dimensional objects, such as a cube, are not appropriate for blind
persons.  You may need to work with the classroom teacher to figure out what
the learning goal is and what are appropriate alternatives.  There are
manipulable base ten blocks but I don't know whether or not these would be
useful here.  One way to gain understanding of place value is by using an
abacus.

In general I think the best place to find the answers to transcribing
questions is via the National Braille Association's online "Ask An Expert"
forums.  Not only can you get help from the designated expert in each area,
you may get help and advice from other transcribers who've encountered
similar problems.  However, as I tried to imply above, I don't know if this
is simply a transcribing issue.

Sincerely,
SusanJ