[Blindmath] answer about LaTeX to html

White, Jason J jjwhite at ets.org
Tue Feb 21 13:10:15 UTC 2017

[Jason] That's interesting. I'll test it when I have an opportunity.

> Which Linux do you use? I recently tried Vinux but I think I'll go with plain Ubuntu
> instead. Vinux is based on an old version of Ubuntu.
> I couldn't accomplish tasks that should be simple, like setting up wi-fi.
[Jason] I use various Linux distributions, but my preference nowadays is for Arch Linux (see http://talkingarch.tk/).
For wi-fi configuration under Linux, there are various options. I find that NetworkManager works well - and there's even a command line interface called nmcli.
 > I like the
> command-line interface and reasonable GUIs. I have a CS degree and find MS
> Word so intimidating that I haven't touched it in seven years.
[Jason] When I need to use MS-Word, as I sometimes do, it's often faster to perform a Web search to find what I'm looking for than to locate it directly in the application itself. The Web-based instructions usually indicate how to find the required control, sometimes deep within layers of ribbons and dialogs. Using word processors is usually a frustrating experience for me. I'm much more comfortable creating a new file in Emacs and writing it in either Markdown (for conversion with Pandoc) or LaTeX. I appreciate the fact that all of the markup is presented to me as part of the text, whereas in modern word processors (LibreOffice, MS-Word, Pages, Google Docs etc.), one needs to use screen reader commands to query it.
I agree with the observations made in this discussion about the efficiency of the Linux environment, especially its shell, text editors and associated tools, regardless of whether there is mathematics involved. Some people think for instance that LaTeX exists primarily to typeset mathematical content, whereas in fact it can be used effectively with a wide variety of documents.

Thank you for your compliance.